The Ale Wagon

The interior features photos of the former Queens Hotel which was across the road, this pub in the 1930s, and the former Hoskins Brewery. A function room is available to hire. Handy for the nearby Curve Theatre. Plans are under way to brew on the premises in the near future. Historic Interest Originally the QUEENS HOTEL, it was owned by the Leicester Brewing & Malting company until its takeover by Ansells Brewery in the 1950s.

Run by the Hoskins family, this city centre pub with a 1930s interior, including an original oak staircase, has two rooms with tiled and parquet floors and a central bar.

As part of the scheme to widen Charles Street, this corner pub was built in 1931 to replace a Victorian hotel on the adjacent corner. It has drainpipes with hop decoration.

From the 1950s, it was owned by Ansells, then after several years of neglect and deterioration, was acquired by Hoskins & Oldfield as their first tied house, opening as the ALE WAGON in September 1999.